Apr 29, 2008
posted by sausan at 11:42

Hi y'all! So you love those acrylic albums but they are way too expensive for you? You'd love to try your skills on a transparent album but are afraid to ruin one of the expensive ones? You used to do some WindowColor glass painting stuff some years ago? Well, then this would be simply perfect as you still might have some windowcolor windmill or mobile foil (PVC vinyl film) lying around somewhere.
If not you can definitely get it everywhere in any crafts store and it is pretty unexpensive...plus you can get some more albums out of the packages than just one.
Here in Germany you can get this foil in a 5 sheets package. It is thick but not too thick to cut and you can cut every size you'd like your album to be.

Okay, let's start!

Supplies:

- Windowcolor mobile or windmill foil sheets (package of 5 sheets here)Sheetsize is about 9"x12"

- Craft Knife, cutter (I used this cool Fiskars fingertip craft knife..looks weird but really works like a charm! )

- your favorite glue, I used some special glue that I got from this nice lady's shop but you can also use glue dots ...just pay attention that you might want it to dry clear!

- acrylic paint

- transparencies, rub ons, whatever you can think of

- embellies of your choice

- cardstock of your choice

- journaling pen

- waterproof pen in case you wanna journal or doodle onto the transparent sheets
photos

- hole punch, eyelet setter or Crop-a-Dile to get some holes punched


How tos


1. Well first off I cut the sheets to the size I liked...mine are about 7" long and 4" high...weird size, I know. I didn't think too much, just cut LOL You can cut them any size you like

2. Then I started painting the pages with acrylic paint...not sure if I should have done this step first...I can only advise you to play with your photos a bit and think about where you would like to place your pics and embellies..not only because you want it to look great but you might want to use the transparency of the sheets as a special touch to add to your minialbum...means that you might want to use it as a medium to enhance your pics and wordart and whatever you put in there.

Of course I did play around, too, but in the end I added too many sheets of cardboard and I think I didn't really place my pics perfectly well to keep this transparent character of the album if you know what I mean.
But this is what I call a learning curve LOL

No problem with a selfmade album...do another one...it has not been this expensive like the ones you buy.

3. Now you can do whatever you like..I added some cardboard pages, I added a piece of cloth that I stiffened with gesso, I added rub ons and printed out some of my doodles to glue them in, I doodled on the sheets, punched holes in them, well, my album still is not really ready to go, there are still some pics and some journaling missing but you can get it, i think.

The great thing about it is, that you can always add something else to it or just use it like an everyday art journal and make creating it your process of creating art... I fixed the album pages with keyrings but you can also use ribbons or any other cool thread.

Now here's my first try on acrylic!




Now have fun with yours!

Sylvie

Labels:

 
1 Comments:


At 6/03/2008 9:33 PM, Blogger Kelly

I love this!! I have no idea what acrylic stuff this is but I'm going to search around. I really love the look it gives!